Saturday, August 27, 2011

Finding Gratitude in the Parking Lot


Last Friday, on my search for yard sale treasure, I drove past the high school. I have to admit that I may have laughed gleefully out loud when I saw the full parking lot. Teachers are back at school getting ready for students to arrive on Monday morning, and I am blissfully cruising the yard sales. I feel only a sense of relief that I don't have to go back to work. I did sign up to substitute and I already have a few dates booked, but I'm only accepting assignments for content that I enjoy teaching. I feel incredibly grateful that I can chose to work or not. I might have to drive by that parking lot again...it sure felt good!

I am grateful.  Retired life is good!

8 comments:

Linda Myers said...

Choices. Aren't they a wonderful thing?

Sandi said...

Ah, someday I will be there, too, grateful to not be working! But, for now, I gotta get back there and teach those kids!

I'm always grateful also, for teachers like you, as it's perfect when you need a sub to call a friend to come in who is familiar with your plans!

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Retired life is wonderful!! I am so grateful, too, after working multiple jobs for so many years. It's so great that you can work if you want to, teaching what you want, as the need arises and otherwise have your time be your own. It's a great feeling!

Jenny Woolf said...

It's nice how something like a full parking lot can make or break your day depending on your perspective. Your post made me smile - thank you!

Shrinky said...

I guess I do miss some of the highs I enjoyed at work, the independence, all the interaction with others, and certainly the financial rewards. But if I ever do get to pining after my other life, I remind myself of all the pressures, worries and responsibilities that also came with the job, and am soon happily counting my blessings again!

Rosie said...

It must be good knowing that you don't have to go to work & its something I am looking forward to. I only work 2-3 days a week and I feel like I am retired on my days off, and it won't be long before I can have that "feel good" feeling every day.

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Sometimes during the day I'll randomly stop by someone's desk and ask "Is it retirement time yet?"

Unfortunately I've still got at least another 25 years to go :(

Rosaria Williams said...

Look at all these blogs you're writing! Good to see you so engaged...

Related Posts with Thumbnails