Friday, February 26, 2010

The Sound of Science


Last week my son-in-law had surgery to restore his hearing. Four years ago he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. We were fortunate that the tumor was operable and benign. A month before the birth of his first child he underwent brain surgery. In the process the hearing in his right ear was destroyed.

Being deaf in one ear turned out to be a bonus with a newborn in the house. Jason could bury his good ear in the pillow and go to sleep with the squawking baby. The down side was that he no longer had stereo hearing. He had lost the ability to tell the direction from where sounds were coming. It was sometimes difficult for him to hear when his good ear wasn’t facing the conversation. He was well aware of these consequences when he had the surgery. We were all grateful that he survived with minimal consequences.
Last week’s surgery will restore his hearing in his deaf ear. A device was implanted in his head that will use his skull to transmit sound waves and bypass his damaged inner ear.


My understanding is that the actual device will attach to this port that is embedded in his skull.  He has to wait at least six weeks for the port to firmly attach to his skull.  Stay tuned and I will post updates of his progress. 

As a kid I remember watching the 6 Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman. I never thought I would have a bionic man in my family! I continue to be amazed at scientific advances. How lucky we are to live in a country where these advances are available. It really is "Better Living Through Science." I’m grateful for the scientific and medical discoveries that will improve the quality of life for my family.

Life is both good and amazing!

4 comments:

This Eclectic Life said...

It IS good and amazing! How fortunate that he was be able to have this device implanted. I love that you even found the "upside" to his hearing loss with the new baby in the house. Thanks for participating! Have a weekend filled with good.

Elizabeth @ My Life, Such as it is... said...

Even more amazing is that we have access to medical miracles like that here in the US. Popped over from Shelly's blog.

Karina said...

Wow, that is amazing! Modern medicine is so incredible!

Going Crunchy said...

What a blessing, what a blessing, what a blessing. My father died from a brain tumor - but it was a different type - a glioblastoma that replicates itself. How fantastic that he can ever recover the hearing loss! Congrats!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails